Generally, a citizen of a foreign country who
wishes to enter the United States must first obtain a visa,
either a nonimmigrant visa for temporary stay, or an immigrant
visa for permanent residence. Visitor visas are nonimmigrant
visas for persons who want to enter the United States
temporarily for business (visa category B-1), tourism, pleasure
or visiting (visa category B-2), or a combination of both
purposes (B-1/B-2). If you hold a Canadian
passport, please visit the following website at
for more information.
If you do need to apply for a nonimmigrant visa, please follow
the steps below.
Note: If you are under 14 or aged 80 or over, or if you previously received a U.S. visa that expired within the last 12 months and you are returning to the United States for the same purpose of travel, you may be able to obtain a visa without coming to the consulate for an interview Click here to learn how to apply using the Consulate's Drop-off Service.
There are several steps to apply for a visa. The order of these steps and how you complete them may vary at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you apply. Please consult the instructions available on the U.S. Embassy or Consulate website where you will apply.
Complete the Online Visa Application
1. Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application, Form DS-160---Learn more about completing the DS-160. You must: 1) complete the online visa application and 2) print the application form confirmation page to bring to your interview.
2. Photo ---You will upload your photo while completing the online Form DS-160. Your photo must be in the format explained in the Photograph Requirements.
Gather Required Documentation
Gather and prepare the following required documents before your visa interview:
1. Passport valid for travel to the United States - Your passport must be valid for at least six months beyond your period of stay in the United States, unless exempt by country-specific agreements (PDF - 57 KB). If more than one person is included in your passport, each person who needs a visa must submit a separate application.
2. Nonimmigrant Visa Application, Form DS-160 confirmation page
3. Application fee payment receipt, if you are required to pay before your interview.
4. Photo---You will upload your photo while completing the online Form DS-160. If the photo upload fails, you must bring one printed photo in the format explained in the Photograph Requirements.
For more information, please visit https://www.immigrationdirect.com/Visa-Photo-Requirement-Page.jsp.
For most attendees, it is easier to
apply for a Tourist ("L") visa; an invitation letter is NOT
required for obtaining a Tourist visa.
If some participants need another type of visa that does require an invitation letter, the ICKCS 2018 conference committee will be glad to help. To obtain an invitation letter, please send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, together with your registration, and in the case of being an author, your accepted paper ID. The Conference Secretariat will then send a formal visa application form via airmail or fax with which the participants can apply for a visa.